Our experts like to share product recommendations with you and hope you like them! Just to make you aware, CoffeeStoppe may collect a small share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Home-roasting coffee beans is an art. Your perfectly roasted coffee will add joy to every morning and impress your friends. As strange as it may seem, beans can roast to perfection in any standard popcorn popper.
Best Popcorn Poppers for Roasting Coffee: Our Top 5 Picks
A popcorn popper is an easy way to remove acid from beans to bring them to their ideal state, after which you can quickly grind them and brew them into the world’s favorite drink. You can let the beans roast to your preferred stage with this multi-use technology.
To determine whether these are at the proper stage, you can test the color and cracking sounds. Popcorn poppers work for light and medium roasted beans.
This aluminum kettle popper is perfect for roasting coffee in large batches at a time.
This is a huge popper for making as much medium roast as you need. The body is a 6-quart capacity aluminum kettle. The material heats up faster and more evenly than most other materials.
The dimensions of this product are 11.6 x 7.7 x 16.6 inches. The wide base creates a quick and even roast.
There is a patented stirring mechanism which prevents sticking and burning. The non-stick interior makes sure that your beans don’t burn, and that clean up is quick and easy.
A notable feature is the lifetime warranty offered by Franklins.
- It is easy to control the heat on this stovetop popper
- Extra-large chamber for roasting as many as you need
- Easy to clean
- Lifetime warranty
- Wooden handle so you do not have to worry about finger burns
- No see-through top, no way to monitor roast without lifting the lid
- The lid is slightly insecure
Customers like that you can roast a large number of beans at a time. This device by Franklins makes the best popcorn next to a movie theater, so imagine how the coffee would be. To preserve the aroma of coffee roasted, it is recommended that you do not use dish soap when cleaning the popper.
This electric popcorn allows for a clear view of your beans as you roast them. This allows for simple monitoring of your beans so you can toast them to protection.
The base of this roaster is heat resistant, so you do not have to worry about the beans burning. Because the entire machine is plastic coated, you can also grab the whole device without getting burned.
- Easy cleanup
- Transparent lid for a view of beans
- You may need to modify the machine to reach the perfect temperature for roasting
- The chamber is not as large as some competitors.
While it is difficult to control the temperature with air poppers, seasoned coffee roasters swear by these machines for roasting. Reviewers claim that this is perfect for roasting coffee, though it does take about 40 minutes for a medium roast.
You may need to modify the machine by removing the thermostat to reach the perfect temperature.
This popcorn popper looks like a regular stovetop cooker and works well for coffee roasting. The cranking handle makes it easy to rotate, and the six-quart body allows for bulk roasting.
The popper comes with a tumbling mechanism that mixes the beans and ensures that nothing burns. The volume of the pot is six quarts so that you can roast many beans at one time.
While the popper is made from mostly stainless steel, there is an aluminum layer on the bottom for the even distribution of heat. and burn prevention.
The stirring mechanism is manual, and the metal gears that are connected to a wooden handle.
This pot will work in any kitchen as it is compatible with gas, electric, induction, and ceramic stovetops and is dishwasher safe.
- Wooden knob stays cool and comfortable
- Six quarts – can handle large quantities of beans at a time.
- Sleek design
- Easy to use and clean
- No visibility through the lid for checking on the beans
Even first-time roasters find that this is a great device for turning their green coffee beans into delightful medium roast.
A sturdy, well-made stovetop popcorn popper, perfect for roasting coffee beans. The stirring mechanism ensures an even roast to your coffee. The aluminum pot is finished with a coat of red. The device is available in two sizes: 4 quarts or 5 ½ quarts.
The vented, tempered glass lid provides a visual of your perfectly roasted beans. The built-in tumbling mechanism turns all of the beans so you can have an even batch.
The cooker is dishwasher safe and easy to wash.
- 4-quart capacity
- Clear lid so you can monitor your roast
- Stovetop design allows you to control the temperature of your roast accurately
- Non-stick for an easy cleanup
- Sturdy, aesthetically pleasing, appealing, and practical design.
- The stirring blades do not reach the edge of the pot, so some beans do not get stirred
Customers love how beautiful this machine is and how simple it is to roast the perfect coffee. They also claim that it is straightforward to clean, and all you have to do is wipe it down with a paper towel. Reviews state that this is almost as good as an expensive home coffee roaster, while it is way more affordable and practical.
This popcorn spinner comes with 5-quart capacity and a spinning mechanism that makes sure that your coffee beans do not burn as they roast.
This stainless steel popcorn popper is an excellent alternative to an air popper for coffee roasting.
- Evenly roasts beans with spinning mechanism
- Nonstick pot, easy to clean.
- Wooden handles to keep your hands safe from accidental burning.
- The spinning gears are made out of plastic
Previous customers say that this stainless steel popcorn popper is an excellent alternative to an air popper for coffee roasting. Many have used this for roasting large batches of coffee. The stirring mechanism works but will sometimes get stuck.
How to use a Popcorn Popper to Roast Coffee?
Popcorn poppers are great machines for coffee, though this is not their original purpose or design. Your hot air roaster will prepare many beans for you if you select the proper unit.
- Set up the roaster in a well-ventilated area and prepare all necessary accessories.
- Make sure the temperature of the roaster can reach 480 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Measure out the beans. Make sure you use the same amount as the manufacturer suggests for popcorn, that is how much the roaster can handle.
- Turn on your roaster and stay close to it.
- Typically, the beans should be stirred and evenly roasted within 5-10 minutes.
- You can judge how well the coffee is roasted by the smells, the colors of the beans, and crackling sounds.
- When your beans are finished, pour them into colanders and toss them until they are cold. They will cook until they are completely cooled off. It is best to wait 12 hours before you brew your first home-roasted cup.
What Type of Popcorn Popper is Best for Roasting?
Air poppers vs. Stovetop
Many air poppers will not get hot enough to roast coffee, so sometimes you may have to modify the machine by removing the built-in thermostat. With stovetop popcorn poppers, you do not have to worry about this problem, as it is easy to control the temperature to fit the needs of your beans.
Typically air poppers roast beans very quickly, though usually only 3-4 ounces at a time. Stovetop poppers tend to have a larger vat so that you can roast more beans at a time.
What to Look for in a Popcorn Popper for Roasting Coffee? Buying Guide
Depth of the Chamber
When selecting the best popcorn popper for roasting coffee, you should pay attention to how deep the roasting chamber is. If the chamber is 4.5 inches deep, it will typically roast about 90 grams of beans. When the roasted beans expand, they will not blow out the popper.
If you do invest in a popper with a smaller chamber, say 3.5 inches, you can add a soup can chimney extender. This device is a simple soup can with both ends cut out, which you would place on top of the roasting chamber.
If the popper has a thermostat inside of the chamber wall, you may have to modify the machine. Popcorn needs only 350 degrees to pop, while coffee needs about 480 to roast.
The thermostat typically rests in the circuit above the heating coils; if the thermostat trips to cut short the roast, you will have to remove the bi-metal disk.
In the ideal situation, a coffee roaster will have an adjustable thermostat, or be a stovetop popper.
FAQs: Popcorn Popper for Roasting Coffee
While it may not make sense to buy a popcorn popper for things other than popcorn, roasting coffee this way is practical and works well. Here are some frequently asked questions on the topic that we think you may find helpful.
1. Can I Use Popcorn Poppers for Roasting Coffee and Popping Popcorn?
You may not be able to use these devices for both as the aroma is an essential component of roasting. Your popcorn will taste like coffee, or your coffee will taste like popcorn. Either way, it is not ideal.
2. Why Would I Use a Popcorn Popper Instead of a Traditional Coffee Roaster?
Home coffee roasters are very expensive, and popcorn poppers work just as well, if not better.
What is the Verdict?
Our choice on this list is the Zippy Pop Red Stovetop Popcorn Popper. Not only is the design sleek and the machine durable, but it has the capabilities that will make roasting coffee much more straightforward. All of these are great options for preparing coffee in a homemade, natural way. Whichever popcorn popper you choose for the job, we hope you enjoy the experience and the taste you will create.
- Premium aluminum pot with non-stick interior, finished in a colorful pop of red
- Innovative design features patented tumbling mechanism and vented, tempered glass lid
- Patented tumbling mechanism features a unique stationary baffle and propeller arms to coat each kernel with seasoning
Last update on 2021-03-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API