Our experts like to share product recommendations with you and hope you like them! Just to make you aware, CoffeeStoppe may collect a small share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Coffee enthusiasts love their French presses. The French press allows for a connection between the brewer and the coffee and allows the person brewing to control many aspects of the process.
French press enthusiasts know that there are two things that are of prime importance when it comes to making a great cup of coffee with a French press: Water temperature (200 degrees Fahrenheit), and the coarseness of the grinds.
Though French presses are generally made for use with coarse grinds, there are some coffee lovers who prefer using fine grinds, with a similar fine texture to espresso grinds. The finer the grinds, they believe, the more the oils are released.
To achieve the perfect cup of coffee, then, French press enthusiasts tend to grind their own coffee beans to their preferred coarseness, which makes owning a coffee grinder essential.
Top 5 Best Cheap Coffee Grinders
The Cuisinart Automatic Burr Mill model grinder is on the higher end of the price range, coming in between $30 and $50. It is definitely a high end coffee grinder, too, with several additional functions that make it stand out from the less expensive models.
- Comes with a removable grind chamber that holds enough coffee for 32 cups of coffee
- Hopper can accommodate 8 ounces of beans per use
- Electric timer will shut the grinder down once it is done grinding
- 18 grind selections
- Heavy duty motor
- Comes with a special scoop that doubles as a cleaning brush
- Large capacity
- Timer function is a great added benefit
- Heavy duty motor can power through beans effortlessly
- Burr mills are challenging to clean, even with the cleaning brush
- Grind chamber is not airtight for storage
- Customers report that the Cusinart is a great burr mill for the price
- Some users reported issues after one year of use, and in some cases it stopped working after one year
2. KRUPS Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder Review
The KRUPS grinder combines value with efficiency. This is definitely a base model coffee grinder that doesn’t come with a lot of bells and whistles, but it makes up for that by doing a very efficient job doing what it was made to do, namely, to grind coffee. It is less than $20, making it a very good value for the price.
- Grinds whole coffee beans in less than 10 seconds
- Works for coffee beans, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices, making it a very versatile tool in the kitchen
- Grinds 3 ounces of beans at a time, which can yield enough ground coffee for 12 cups of coffee
- Stainless steel blades
- Lid activated safety switch keeps you safe while grinding coffee
- Great value and features for the price
- Stainless steel blades are easier to clean than burr mills
- Safety mechanism is a definite benefit
- Would be better with higher capacity
- Marketed for various uses, but not easy to clean so it could lead to cross contamination that could impact coffee flavor
- Users report that it is loud, but not more so than other non-manual grinders
- Not ideal for spices as advertised
- General sentiment is that the grinder does what it specifies
This easy to use coffee grinder offers all of your basic features with a reasonable price. Coming in at less than $20, the Cuisinart Coffee Bar is a great grinder for beginners.
- Easy to use with a simple on/off switch
- Stainless steel bowl and blades
- Easy to clean
- Built-in cord storage
- Easy to use, great for beginner users
- Easy to control the grind manually
- Hard to control the grind without automatic settings if you don’t know what you’re doing
- Some users reported that the grinder had issues from the start and didn’t work as advertised
- Does a great job for small jobs/batches
- Much easier to clean than other grinders, cleans with a few taps in most cases
This manual coffee grinder is great for grinding coffee on the go. Since French presses are popular for use on camping trips, why not elevate the camping experience with freshly ground coffee beans? Great price, coming in at less than $25.
- Manual grinder has far less noise than a traditional electric or battery operated grinder
- Manual grinding provides for far more precision in the grind
- 18 click settings to give you lots of coarseness options
- Patented burrs last longer than stainless steel blades
- Comes with a voucher for a free bag of coffee
- Not as noisy as electric grinders
- Replacement parts available
- Comes with detailed instructions about which setting to use
- Optimal for smaller batches of coffee, as in 1-2 cups at a time
- Time consuming to grind beans, can take several minutes per batch depending on the coarseness
- Grind is never consistent, which is a side effect of manual grinders
- Works very well once you get the hang of it
- Awesome customer service provided
- Great for French press coffee, takes longer for fine grinds
The versatile Veken Coffee Grinder also works for spices and nuts. Coming in at less than $20, this coffee grinder gives you all of the versatility you’re looking for at a great price.
- Electric grinder with detachable power cord
- Available in three colors (Red, Black and White)
- Grinds 50 grams of beans in each batch, which works out to be about 12 standard cups of coffee
- Low noise motor
- Cover built to prevent spillage
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Easy to get the grind coarseness you want – simply stop grinding when you’re done
- Clear instructions explain how to achieve the desired result
- Hard for beginning users to control consistency of grind
- Easy to establish a personalized system – count to 8, then you’re done
- Creates a perfect grind for French press users
- Easy to clean
- Strong motor delivers consistent grind every time
Things To Consider When Shopping For Coffee Grinders
In terms of brewing capacity, French presses can range from 12 ounces to 51 ounces. To brew a 12 ounce pot of coffee you will need approximately two level tablespoons of coffee, while a full 51 ounce pot will require 10 tablespoons. If you plan to make big pots of coffee, a higher capacity grinder is a good idea, unless you don’t mind grinding multiple batches of beans.
If you want to grind your own coffee for use with your French press then you will need a reliable coffee grinder. Though the price might be a consideration for you, above all you should find a grinder that has enough capacity to grind enough beans for your needs while also giving you an assortment of coarseness settings.
When shopping for coffee grinders, consider whether you want a grinder that is electric, battery operated or manual. Manual grinders make less noise than electric models, and you can control the coarseness easier with a grinder that features grind settings. There are some grinders that grind based on duration, and not a setting. In that sense, the oness to capture the perfect consistency is on you and that could be challenging if you’re not totally familiar with how grinders work.
In general, you want to consider how much coffee can be ground at one time and how much control you have over the coarseness. After that you can look at things like design and color, but your primary focus should be on capacity and control.
As you can see from the five cheap coffee grinders featured, they all have the same basic functions and then some have advanced features like electric timers and multiple settings.
They also all have very different looks. In the end, make sure that you choose a grinder that meets your needs and aesthetic, and if you find that you enjoy grinding your own beans for use with your French press then you might consider upgrading to another model in the future. Based on the five options presented, the best value coffee grinder for your money is the Veken Coffee Grinder. It has the widest range of options for the price, and it will suit all of your grinding needs with ease. The customer feedback is almost entirely positive and across the board users appreciate the result achieved with this grinder.
- Efficient grind - the motor of the grinder is quite powerful when revving, doing a great job to chop up your Coffee beans into grounds in just a few seconds. Also, it works amazingly well to grind up other fairly hard materials with ease.
- Perfect size - compact design takes minimum space and can be stored easily on your counter or in a cupboard or drawer. Despite its small size, 50g grinding capacity yields up to 12 cups of Coffee - which is enough for your family and friends to share.
- User-friendly design - the fully-embedded cover protects from coffee grounds spilling out and the top is clear so you can see what is going on in the grinder. The power cord can be detached when not in use. Low noise motor will not disturb your family while you prepare their morning cup.
Last update on 2020-04-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API